Happy Trails!

When we bought our home July of ‘2009’ the yard was nothing but a weed patch.

There was one thing in the yard that I fell in love with.

That is, the rock wall.

It runs along the entire back of our garden, forms a fire pit and then continues onto a portion of the upper side lawn and into a small waterfall.

Our yard isn’t huge, only 1/3 acre, but still it’s a lot of rocks.

Instantly I imagined perennials trailing down the rocks.

After 2 1/2 yrs. my imaginations are beginning to come forth.

IMG_6305

The Spring bloomers have brought me such delight.

IMG_6306

How could the sunny yellow of Basket of Gold not brighten your day?  Every time I walk outdoors it’s like a ray of sunshine.

IMG_6309

To me Candy Tuft is as sweet as candy, wouldn’t you agree?

IMG_6307

IMG_6115

Creeping Phlox trailing down to meet what will eventually be a small boxwood hedge.  I plan to keep the hedge trimmed short so that it won’t cover the wall.  Just wanted to soften a couple areas with the hedge.

IMG_6110

Little mini Sea Thrift peeking out to say, ‘hello’.

IMG_6308

Aubrietia, or Rock Cress is one of my favorites.

IMG_6311

I planted a lot of little steppables in the rock crevices of the area which will be our fire pit.

Larkspur has seeded and is coming up all over below.  Sorry Larkspur,  as much as I love you; you’ll have to go when we soon start on the fire pit.

IMG_6310

This picture is not the best because I took it early in the morning and there is partial shade.  Thought it gave you a better idea of what the wall looks like.

IMG_6304

I have planted trailers that bloom at different times so that I will have a bit of color all season long.

Last year I planted annual Sweet Potato Vine and it trailed so beautifully.  Think I am going to have to plant it again.

Our home sits lower than the houses connected to our back yard.  I am so thankful that this wall was already here.  Can you imagine the bucks it had to cost?

I am loving my rock wall and my trailers.  They make me so very happy!

Only one problem.  Every time I reach in to pull out a small weed I am worried that I might pull out a snake.  Haven’t yet, but I saw a snake up on the dirt yesterday.  YIKES!

Harmless I know, but still scary!

Hugs, Jann

I am sharing this with my link party, Share Your Cup Thursday because Gardening Fills my cup!

I will be sharing with:

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

A Southern Daydreamer for Outdoor Wednesday

Bunny Jean's Bunny Hop

Ivy and Elephants for What's it Wednesday

Faded Charm for White Wednesday

Fishtail Cottage for Cottage Garden Party

27 comments

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Jann!

What a wonderful landscape structure to work around. You are so right in that it would have cost a pretty penny to have this installed.

I like how you have chosen your plant varieties so that you will have a long season full of color.

Thanks for sharing at my party this week.

xoxo Bunny Jean

pembrokeshire lass said...

Hi Jan. The wall and the plants look lovelY! I'm impressed with your lack of weeds and was going to write so but when you said about the snakes I admired you even more!! I think mine would be full of weeds!! In fact mine is....I have a border with big bolders in it and haven't been able to weed it in 4 years...perhaps I'll put a picture of it in my next blog! We'll see. Joan

Suffia said...

Your yard is absolutely beautiful, love to see all the little flowers trailing down the rocks.

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

You and Dayle (A Collection of This and That) are both spellbound by your yards' beauty today.

The only house that had my name on it had a rock wall that my girls and I personally built. Say to them "rock wall" and they're little but strong again, helping Mommy. Oh, you stirred up memories.

Thank you for sharing all the pretties. Loved it!

Old Time Cindy said...

Your rock wall is so cool! The snake comment made me chuckle. We have so many snakes. And they love my boxwood shrubs...just a little heads up for ya!

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Your garden is beautiful. Nothing like natural rock to showcase plants. Your grass is perfect too. We are starting with a clean slate (Weeds!) with our garden this year. I'm itching to get into the dirt.
Hugs,
Courtney

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love all the flowers within the rocks...makes for a spectacular display!! Beautiful yard and garden!

poppilinnstudios said...

Your rock wall is beautiful Jann! I love the variety of flowers-very pretty. Eeek, I'm always afraid of grabbing a snake in my garden too-I have a lot of ground cover, so when I reach in for a weed, I hope I don't get something else!
-Lynn

Gina said...

Your flowers are beautiful, Jann. It was such a great idea to plant some in between the rocks.

NanaDiana said...

THAT is beautiful! I love rocks. You must have some Irish in you? All the Irish love a rock wall!;>)

You did a wonderful job with all you plants there. I have had the hardest time finding sweet potato vine (last year and this year). It is one of my favorite trailing vines! xo Diana

Anonymous said...

I was admiring that rock wall before you even mentioned it Jann! Love all the pretty plants you have tucked in among the rocks.

Snakes- don't even mention! I was bit by a rattlesnake 3 summers ago and almost died as a result. Thankfully it wasn't in our yard or that probably would have ended my gardening!

bee blessed
mary

Peg said...

Jann, I love your garden. You work so hard and have created a very beautiful place. Thank you for being so generous and sharing it with us. Looking forward to coming and enjoying the pleasant surroundings. Love you!

Peg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Your rock wall is beautiful! I am a big fan of potato vines and am looking forward to planting some this year in some of my planters. I bet they are gorgeous along the rock wall!

Julie Marie said...

Hi Jann... your garden is just beautiful!... I popped over from Ivy and Elephants... love the Aubrieta too... I even love the little snakes!... wishing you a beautiful Spring day, xoxo Julie Marie

Little Miss Maggie said...

I can see why you liked the rock wall. I love that look too. So many possibilities. Great job.

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Your rock garden is so delightful. So glad your vision is becoming reality this season.

Visiting from the Bunny Hop, Debra

Linda said...

I was wondering if you had any problem with snakes...they love the warm rock walls! Very pretty wall with your trailing flowers...

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

How wonderful that you got have that rock wall..and didn't have to
put it in. You are right. It would have cost a lot!
About the snake. I don't know what kind you have, but do be careful. They love to get back under rocks and den..and warm on the rocks in the sun. Be sure and look before you pull! I'm sure you do..its such a perfect place for snakes to live.
I LOVE your blog! :)

Shannon said...

Jann-

This is already quite lovely. I do hope you will post updates as it grows! I REALLY want to see what it looks like in a few months time. Snakes...eeek!!!!

andrea@townandprairie said...

I have to comment on this one... when I was a little girl, we rented an apartment. Outside, along the driveway, was an extensive rockwall garden. There were TONS of snakes sunning themselves in the summer hanging all over those things. The landlord LOVED the snakes and well, we did not. Whenever they would go on vacation, my father would kill as many as he could and then we would never tell. I swear one time there was a copperhead, so we were pretty spooked by the snake-love. Be careful.

Vicki/Jake said...

Wow, the outside's as beautiful as the inside! Love all your colors here but what, no Creeping Jenny? Glad you had instant rocks too:)

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

I love your flowers and your beautiful stone wall.

Dee

Fishtail Cottage said...

oh, i love how you've tucked your plants into the rock wall like that! they are so pretty like a waterfall! & yes, that yellow "bucket of gold" is so cheerful! Thanks so much for linking up to the Cottage Garden Party over here at Fishtail Cottage! xoox, tracie

Little Susie Home Maker said...

The beauty of these flowers tucked inside the rocks, is such a pleasure to the eye. A rock garden, or a rock wall, all look so much prettier when landscaped this way. I discovered the eggplant vine a few years ago, and now it is one of my favorites! You have a beautiful display of cascading colors here! If all you had was weeds, then you sure have a lot of hard work to be proud of! Good for you! We moved on our 5 acre property 19 years ago. It looked like a desert with one little juniper bush. We started digging and planting and now feel so happy when we go out into our own little oasis! We have so many trees and shrubs, many fruit bearing, and now have flocks of birds, bunnies coming to live. And yes, even the occasional snake! I love your hard work, it has paid off!
Blessings,
Susie

Cheryl said...

What a lovely yard you have :-) My daughter just bought her second home, and I'm busy dividing up plants so she can have them at her new place lol....

Lisa Montsion said...

You have a beautiful yard. I love how hard you worked to make it beautiful.

lisa

Instagram