French Toast to DIE for!

Here at the Olson’s Dead and Breakfast Inn we have a signature breakfast dish that is literally to die for!

IMG_8294

Pecan (or Macadamia Nut) French Toast

074

It’s one that is always requested by family members.  You can guarantee that it will be getting a YUM-O from more than a few.

Before I share the recipe I want to show you some of the fun we had at the Inn last Weds. night.

The tables were set and guests came ready to party.  Dressed in their p.j.’s as requested.

IMG_8304

I picked up the purple vases for $2.99 at a discount store some time ago.  After gathering twigs from a nearby field and spraying them black the fun began.

My friend, Ann bought a vase at the same time so together we created a simple Halloween tree.

Ribbons and graphics printed from a Bethany Lowes book I had made the task quick and easy.

IMG_8305

At each setting I placed a peat pot filled with goodies and a witch paper doll my SIL and I created by using head shots of each guest. I needed twelve and she needed 9.  It made it a bit easier when we created two of the same bodies and then swapped.

IMG_8300

IMG_8299

They are so comical you can’t help but laugh.

IMG_8302

After dinner (breakfast) we played bunko.  Prizes were given and a great time was had by all.

Now for the recipe:

Mix together:  6 large eggs, 1/4 C sugar, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, 1/2 C Orange Juice, 1 1/2 C Half & Half, and 1 tsp. Vanilla

Cut  a loaf of French bread into 1” thick slices.

Dip in egg mixture and place in a 9x13 pan. (Squish slightly to fit 13-15 slices).  Pour remaining mixture over top.  Cover and refrigerate over night. 

In the morning melt  2/3 C Butter, 1 C Brown Sugar, 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon, and 1 Tbs. Corn Syrup in a saucepan.

Remove bread and place on a large 15 x 10 cookie sheet.  Pour a little sauce over top, turn bread and pour remaining. 

Bake in 400 degree oven for 10 min.  Turn slices, sprinkle 1/2 cups nuts.  I use pecans and use more like a cup.  Bake 10 Min. longer.

YUM-O!

This is so good it doesn’t even need syrup.  Although you can add it if you want.

Hugs,

Jann

I want to thank Lavender Garden Cottage for featuring my Too Cute to Spook! post

I will be sharing with these fun blogs:

Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday

All Star Block Party

Lavender Garden Cottage for Cottage Style Link Party

No Minimalist Here for Open House Party

Katherines Corner for Thursdays Favorite Things

At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday

The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home

One More Time Events

My Turn for Freedom Fridays

Made in a Day for Made U Look Party

25 comments

Barbara F. said...

Sounds delicious and I love those little witches, the faces are a great idea. xo

Jill said...

I just pinned your recipe - have to try it!!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Great post and fun too! I can see you all had fun as well. I'm loving this recipe, they look so good..yummy!! Thanks for it, lovely Mrs. Olson. Big hugs,
FABBY

Linda W. said...

Love your cute party decorations. And I MUST try your french toast recipe! Sounds to die for!

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh, Jann...You are so very clever with you endless decorating ideas. I can see that you are a favorite on any committee. I can't help but think of the wicked witch of the west on The Wizard of Oz.
My mouth is watering after seeing your fabulous french toast. thank you for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to make some for my family.
I hope you have a great day, my darling friend,
Big hugzzzzzz,
Carolynn xo

Gina said...

The French toast looks yummmmmmmy!
I also love the witch paper dolls. How cute they are!

priscilla said...

Those witches are so cute and creative ! Bet your friends loved them ! That french toast looks amazing ! I will have to make that !

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Jan, Your little witches are adorable and seem to all be smiling! The French toast does look good, I am hungry now.

Salmagundi said...

I always fix French Toast this way (over night); but NOT with that yummy topping. I'm going to try that. The trouble is that we have nut allergies in the family; but not Bob & I, so guess he & I will have to eat the WHOLE thing. Thanks for sharing. Sally

Babs said...

I'll bet your place cards/party favors got lots of ooos and ahhhs. They are the cutest! The French toast looks sooo good. Bet your guest were thrilled.
Babs

Late Bloomers said...

Creme Brulee French Toast is a Christmas must at my house... YUM!

Ang
SoLongFarm.blogspot.com

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Cracked me up!

Yes I'll try the recipe but I thought I was clicking on a recipe on Wow us Wednesdays and ended up at your Inn and just bust out laughing

Donna said...

This looks so delicious! Love all the decorations too.
Hugs,
Donna

Creations By Cindy said...

The recipe is a must try for me! Thanks for sharing it. Also love the little party you had going on there! Looks like a hoot. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Lynn Wood said...

Jann,

That french toast looks so yummy I don't know if I can wait until the weekend to give it a try. I just love your little witch people too, I'll bet everyone really enjoyed that as well!

~Lynn

Shirley Hatfield said...

Jann, you are so much fun! Any party with you in attendance must be a riot! So many cute ideas in one place just isn't fair...lol!

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Your little party favor witches are delightful! Andy the recipe does sound rich and yummy.

Debra

Rose L said...

The witch favors are so cute. That looks soooo delicious!

Elena said...

Oh my goodness that french toast looks so good!

Katherines Corner said...

tat french toast is like dessert for breakfast. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Wishing you a beautiful weekend xo

meandmr.com said...

Newest follower here! I found you through the Friday blog hop! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!
-meandmr.com

Nancy said...

You are so clever, Jann. Love seeing what you're up to. Thanks for sharing with us.

Rhonda's Favorites and Flops said...

I made the french toast and it was delicious. I actually ate it for breakfast and lunch. Thanks for sharing. Your recipe is featured on my blog
http://rhondassaucyadventures.blogspot.com/2012/11/jannolson-baked-french-toast.html

Rhonda's Favorites and Flops said...

Jann~
Thanks for stopping by my blog. I laughed so hard when I found out that the Dead and Breakfast wasn't a Bed and Breakfast. I would actually like to stay at a Dead and Breakfast. Your husband is so nice to make that sign for you, he did a great job.

Unknown said...

I found it:) I am pinning. Loving the sign.
Dead and Breakfast. LOL Almost missed it.

Instagram