LEAF the Cooking to ME. . .

Fall is in the air, so it’s time for a Fall tablescape and garden cooking.

IMG_2992

IMG_2993

Don’t you love it when one vintage piece accidently becomes a collection?  I picked up the white wheat party plates at D.I. a few years ago.  Then a year later, I saw the wheat pitcher.  Knowing it would look cute with my plates I bought it for $1.50.  Spring 2010 we were vacationing in Bisbee, AZ. I spied the two wheat glasses at an antique store. Knew I had to bring them home.  Then in May, on my way to St. George for a get away with friends we stopped at an antique store.  After we were pulling away to leave, my sister said, “Jann, doesn’t that wheat platter match your wheat dishes?”  Outside there was a $3 table.  I hadn’t even noticed it.  Apply brakes, put in park, grab that platter, go in and pay.  Big surprise!  The owner knows me and said, “oh Jann, you can just have that.”

Voila!  What started as one item is now a collection!

IMG_2994

When looking for Fall foliage, one need go no further than their own backyard.  Or the field next door.

I’ve shown my vintage brown milk bottle before.  I love it for my Fall décor!

IMG_2995IMG_2996

Picked up this cute sunflower placemat at Pier 1 on clearance after Fall last year.

IMG_2998IMG_2999

IMG_3000

On Sunday I added my Pottery Barn leaf plates I bought years ago for half price. $17.99 for six. I bought 6 gold and 6 green.

They sit atop my green plates $1.99 from Tai-Pan.

Small bowls $2.99 from T.J. Maxx four or five years ago.

006005

And what’s a party without a couple of teacups hanging around? One adorns a sunflower, the other a mini faux pumpkin.

003

004

Recently I cooked up this Fall feature:

I had some yellow zucchini that had gotten a bit large.

001

I hollowed them out.  Browned a pound of sausage, drained grease, then added: 8 oz. cream cheese and a few bread crumbs.  I would’ve added mushrooms, but had grandies that don’t like them.

002

Drizzled it with Olive Oil and sprinkled with S&P.

003

Topped with fresh parmesan cheese. Baked at 350 degrees for 30 min.

004

I forgot to take a pic of it after it baked.  It was delicious!  The only thing, the hard cheese did not melt, just browned.  If I had used cheddar or Jack it would’ve melted and been all cheesy. I think it would’ve looked more appealing.

My blogger friend, Kris did something similar to this on her blog a while ago.

Hope you take time to enjoy Fall’s bounty!

Jann

I will be linking this post with:

Marty at A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday

Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Southern Hospitality for Thrifty Treasures

Creating a House of Grace for Twice Owned Tuesday

Bunny Jeans Wednesday Bunny Hop Party

17 comments

Unknown said...

Love your wheat dishes. So nice! Your table decor is lovely!

Unknown said...

I love your blog.I will try the new dish!
Thanks for sharing

Diana LaMarre said...

I also have a set of wheat dishes. I have a setting with them on my tablescaping blog.

I love the extra pieces you have to go with yours -- like the glasses, platter, etc.

Your stuffed squash looks like a great fall dinner.

Gail said...

Thanks for sharing your collected wheat china. My grandmother had pyrex casserole dish in the wheat pattern in mid1960s. I miss her and your vignette brought back great memories.

Christine @ Stonehouse Living said...

Hi Jann,

I do love when that happens! Love the wheat pattern...The tea cups hanging from the chandelier is a great idea! Your Kitchen is beautiful, very warm and inviting!

All the Best,
Christine

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Great fall setting, and your zucchini dish looks quite tasty.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Jann, nice to meet you! So glad you found my party & linked up. I hope you'll make yourself comfortable & come back for a visit. Your dishes are so pretty.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

So pretty. I love your tablescape. That sunflower is amazing. I love the wheat also, two of my favorite things. Gorgeous setting and the zuchini looks wonderful. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Ellen said...

I just love the dishes and they mix so well. Fall sure is a pretty time of year and I love it so. Just don't like what follows it. LOL I will need to make this squah tonight, I have some large squash that hubby picked over the weekend and I have sausage in the freezer. Thank you for helping with dinner tonight.
Hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Your house is the one always to start the change and inspires all of us to thick about getting our fall decor out-It seems as if it just stated to warm up and now fall is in the air. It's my favorite time of the year. Your house look wonderful.
LadyDi

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Everything goes together so well! I love the stalks of wheat..and is that a REAL sunflower? It looks huge! I would love the squash dish, too! Hugs! ♥

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Jann,

I think I need a search box on that blog because I sure can't remember where I posted what :) . I just went and added one and typed in wheat dishes and it came right up. So thanks for asking me; otherwise I would have never thought to add a search box!

Try this link:
http://tablescaping.blogspot.com/2009/10/golden-wheat-vintage-tablescape.html

Yes, I am a bit CRAZY to try to keep up with 3 blogs. You may have noticed that I rarely post to the tablescaping or quilting blog during the summer. My quilting blog will begin to get more activity soon as we had frost warnings last night...did not get any, but my tropical plants do not like 40 degree nights! Once the plants are done, I sew like a mad woman. LOL.

PS Do you know that you are set as a no reply commenter? Some people want to be; others do not even realize that they are. Anyway, I replied to your comment in my email, but did not realize that you would not get the reply until the email came back to me. so I came here to reply. :) Hope you had a great day.

Lavender Cottage said...

Hi Jann
Thanks for stopping by. I see you're into your autumn decorating too like quite a few bloggers, must be time to dig my things out.
I like the wheat plates and jug, very autumnal.
Judith

Bunny Jean said...

I think that the search is what makes collecting so much fun. You got pretty darn lucky to keep finding those pieces.

I host Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party and I would love it if you would share something this week :)

xoxo Bunny Jean
@ Bunny Jean's Decor and More!

WhyCuzICan said...

It's wonderful how your collection has evolved...very natural! :) Good job!

Visiting from Bunny Jean's Bunny Hop Linky Party today,
:) Suzanne in NW IL

Bunny Jean said...

Just came by to say thanks for joining this Wednesdays' Bunny Hop!

xoxo bunny Jean

Peg said...

Everything looks fabulous. For sure I have to try that stuffed squash thing, looks yummy!

Instagram